You’ve heard it all before – “you don’t need to take a multi-vitamin, just eat a balanced diet,” or contrastingly, “take a daily multi-vitamin and you’ve got everything you need.” We’ve been told that by eating a ‘balanced diet’ (highly subjective), or by taking a daily multi-vitamin provides us with everything we need to function optimally. But, most of the time, that’s not the case.
As humans, we’re highly bio-individual, meaning that what works for one patient, might not work for another. One person may get their vitamins and nutrients completely through food, while another person could eat the same exact diet and not absorb and utilize more than half of those nutrients, due to a wide variety of variables including prescription medications, a compromised immune system, an infection/parasite, a leaky gut, or an autoimmune condition, to name a few.
This means that you might be “taking that multi-vitamin” or “eating that plant-based, nutrient-dense diet,” and still suffering from a vitamin and nutrient deficiency. How does one fix it, you might ask?
Well, one of the ways our doctors treat nutrient deficiencies (after getting tested through our comprehensive micronutrient panel), is through IV Nutrient Therapy. One of Living Wellness Medical Center’s newest offerings, Med Check, allows us to dig deeper and find out if your medications are depleting your micronutrient status. If so, IV Therapy might be the right treatment for you.
1. IV Therapy provides HIGH doses of nutrients.
- Nutrients such as vitamins and minerals are delivered intravenously (in the veins). This bypasses the digestive system, allowing for high doses of nutrients that otherwise couldn’t be obtained through food or supplementation.
- 100% of those nutrients are absorbed and utilized by the body.
2. Nutrient deficiencies can affect more of us than you may think.
- 25% of Americans are estimated to be deficient in Vitamin B12, the energy-supplying vitamin. Hearty sources of Vitamin B-12 can be sourced from grass-fed meat (like beef and lamb), tuna, liver and eggs.
- The fourth most abundant mineral in the body, Magnesium, affects 80% of the population as a nutrient deficiency. Magnesium can be found in beans, soaked and sprouted nuts, and dark leafy green vegetables.
3. Even in the age of nutritional “food additives” we’re still nutrient deficient.
- Nutrient deficiencies are common because of food processing, de-mineralization or soil from agricultural practices, prescription medications, certain health conditions and the numerous toxins in our environment.
- Even in the processed foods that claim “fortified with B Vitamins” or “fortified with Calcium,” Americans aren’t getting enough whole food sources of our essential vitamins and minerals.
- Instead of “whole grain cereal” and “fortified soy milk,” reach for: dark, leafy greens and other colorful vegetables, sardines, grass-fed meats, kelp, unprocessed, soaked and sprouted nuts, and healthy fats like coconut oil.
[Are you nutritionally deficient? Take our survey!]
4. IV Therapy can relieve more than just symptoms of the common cold.
We’ve seen many patients find relief with IV therapy, including those suffering from:
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Cold and flu (frequent or acute)
- Headaches and migraines
- Autoimmune disorders
- Hormone imbalances including:
- Hypo/hyper thyroid conditions
- Pre-Menstrual Syndrome
- Painful or irregular menstrual cycles
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Food sensitivities
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Overall wellness and prevention
5. Most people can feel the affect of IV nutrient therapy…immediately.
While some patients may take up to 48 hours to feel the effects of IV therapy, most feel its effect almost immediately. This is because, as mentioned before, the nutrients are bypassing the digestive system and delivered straight into your circulation. Here are a few of the most common nutrients (and their health properties) used in IV therapy:
- Zinc – Immune support; healthy hair, skin and nails; supports thyroid function
- ALA – Protects against high blood sugar; antioxidant (anti aging) properties
- Vitamin C – Support adrenal glands; supports immune system
- Selenium – Thyroid support; supports thyroid-hormone conversion
- Folic Acid – Cell replication and healing; hormone balance; metabolism and conception
- Homeopathics – Traumeel® Plus Zeel® for pain relief
If you are interested in discussing IV Therapy, lets chat about it at your next visit.