You’ve heard it all before. “You don’t need to take a multivitamin. Just eat a balanced diet.” Or you may have heard, “Take a daily multivitamin, and you’ve got everything you need.” We’ve been told that eating a ‘balanced diet’ (highly subjective) or taking a daily multivitamin provides us with everything we need to function optimally. But most of the time, that’s not the case.
As humans, we’re highly bio-individual, meaning that what works for one patient might not work for another. One person may get their vitamins and nutrients entirely through food, while another person could eat the same diet and not absorb and utilize more than half of those nutrients. This may be due to a wide variety of variables, including prescription medications, a compromised immune system, infection or parasite, a leaky gut, or an autoimmune condition, to name a few reasons.
This means that you might be “taking that multivitamin” or “eating that plant-based, nutrient-dense diet,” and still suffer from a vitamin and nutrient deficiency. How does one naturally fix the problem, you might ask?
Well, one of the ways our naturopathic doctors treat nutrient deficiencies (after getting tested through our comprehensive micronutrient panel) is through IV Nutrient Therapy. One of Living Wellness Medical Center’s newest offerings, Med Check, allows us to dig deeper and find out if your medications are depleting your micronutrient status. If so, IV Therapy might be the right treatment for you.
1. IV Therapy provides HIGH doses of nutrients.
- Nutrients such as vitamins and minerals are delivered intravenously (in the veins). This bypasses the digestive system, allowing for high doses of nutrients that otherwise couldn’t be obtained through food or supplementation.
- 100% of those nutrients are absorbed and utilized by the body.
2. Nutrient deficiencies can affect more of us than you may think.
- 25% of Americans are estimated to be deficient in vitamin B12, the energy-supplying vitamin. Hearty sources of Vitamin B-12 can be sourced from grass-fed meat (like beef and lamb), tuna, liver, and eggs.
- The fourth most abundant mineral in the body, magnesium, affects 80% of the population as a nutrient deficiency. Magnesium can be found in beans, soaked and sprouted nuts, and dark leafy green vegetables.
3. Even in the age of nutritional “food additives,” we’re still nutrient deficient.
- Nutrient deficiencies are common because of food processing, de-mineralization of soil from agricultural practices, prescription medications, certain health conditions, and the numerous toxins in our environment.
- Even in the processed foods that claim they are “fortified with B Vitamins” or “fortified with calcium,” Americans aren’t getting enough whole food sources of our essential vitamins and minerals.
- Instead of “whole-grain cereal” and “fortified soy milk,” reach for dark, leafy greens and other colorful vegetables, sardines, grass-fed meats, kelp, unprocessed, soaked, and sprouted nuts, as well as healthy fats like coconut oil.
[Are you nutritionally deficient? Take our survey!]
4. IV Therapy can relieve more than just symptoms of the common cold.
We’ve seen many patients find relief with IV therapy, including those suffering from:
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Cold and flu (frequent or acute)
- Headaches and migraines
- Autoimmune disorders
- Hormone imbalances including:
- Hypo/hyperthyroid conditions
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Painful or irregular menstrual cycles
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Food sensitivities
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Overall wellness and prevention
5. Most people can feel the effect of IV nutrient therapy immediately.
While some patients may take up to 48 hours to feel the effects of IV therapy, most feel its effect almost immediately. This is because, as mentioned before, the nutrients are bypassing the digestive system and delivered straight into your circulation. Here are a few of the most common nutrients (and their natural health properties) used in IV therapy:
- Zinc – Supports immune system; healthy hair, skin, and nails; supports thyroid function
- ALA – Protects against high blood sugar; includes antioxidant (anti-aging) properties
- Vitamin C – Support adrenal glands; supports the immune system
- Selenium – Thyroid support; supports thyroid-hormone conversion
- Folic Acid – Cell replication and healing; hormone balance; metabolism and conception
- Homeopathics – Traumeel® Plus Zeel® for pain relief
If you are interested in discussing IV Therapy, call 480-588-6856 for a free brief meet and greet.