Diet and physical exercise are often thought of as the gatekeepers to health, but sleep and the quality of your sleep are equally, if not more, important. Sleep is the time that our body uses to heal, restore, and rejuvenate itself, and it plays an important role in our physical, mental, and emotional health.
Falling short on sleep can take a serious toll on your energy, productivity, and quality of life. As well, chronic sleep deficiency is proven to increase the risk of hypertension and heart disease.
Improving sleep quality may seem nearly impossible when you’re tossing and turning, but making small changes to your daily and nightly routine or environment can help lead to improved sleep. Check out our tips to improve your sleep quality, boost your health, and improve productivity during the day.
Tips to Improve Sleep
- Keep your room temperature moderate: excessively warm or cold temperatures can disturb sleep.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea, colas) and alcohol and nicotine in the evening: these stimulants can affect your ability to fall and stay asleep.
- Exercise daily: a steady amount of daily exercise in the morning or afternoon helps deepen sleep.
- Set your alarm and get up the same time each day: regardless of how long you slept during the night, a constant wake-up time helps your body to acquire a consistent sleep rhythm.
- Go to bed at the same time: this will help set your body’s internal clock, helping you to wake up at the same time each day.
- Avoid screen time at least 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime: this includes time spent on the computer, cell phone, or watching television. The blue light from screens can affect your circadian rhythms, causing your body to think it’s still daytime.
- Keep a diary to identify your sleep patterns: this will help you track the tips that are working, and also be able to discuss your sleep patterns with your naturopathic doctor.
For More Tips on How to Improve Your Sleep Quality Download Our Free Sleep Hygiene Guide
If you have insomnia or difficulty sleeping, call 480-588-6856 to schedule a FREE brief meet and greet with a naturopathic doctor.