Dr Brouwer’s Monthly Recipe
Salmon with kale pesto and cabbage “noodles”
1 ½ tbsp honey
2 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 ½ tbsp olive oil
13 oz wild caught Alaskan salmon
2 ¾ cups cabbage, shredded
1 ¼ cups kale
½ cup cashews
2 ¼ tsp minced garlic
¾ cup chopped basil
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Mix honey, balsamic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper, then add to skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Pour dressing over salmon and cook until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add cabbage to water and boil 3 to 5 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- Make pesto: Remove tough ribs from kale. Combine cashews, garlic, basil, and kale in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add remaining olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss cabbage noodles with some of the pesto to taste, until well coated (freeze leftover pesto for future uses if needed). Enjoy alongside salmon.
Makes two servings
Recipe credit: Platejoy.com