Dr. Brouwer’s Monthly Recipe
Salmon with kale pesto and cabbage “noodles”
The ingredients in this month’s recipe have a variety of health benefits. Salmon, kale, and cabbage often make their way to the top of “healthy foods” lists. It’s easy to make and has ingredients you are likely to have around the house already. It should take a little more than 30 minutes to make this recipe.
You will need these ingredients:
1 ½ tbsp honey
2 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 ½ tbsp olive oil
13 oz wild-caught Alaskan salmon
2 ¾ cups cabbage, shredded
1 ¼ cups kale
½ cup cashews
2 ¼ tsp minced garlic
¾ cup chopped basil
Follow these easy steps:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a full boil.
- Mix honey, balsamic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and save the other half.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper, then add to skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Pour the dressing over salmon and cook until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add cabbage to water and boil 3 to 5 minutes, or until it becomes tender, then drain.
- Make pesto: Remove tough ribs from kale. Combine cashews, garlic, basil, and kale in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add remaining olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss cabbage noodles with some of the pesto to taste, until well coated (freeze leftover pesto for future uses if needed). Enjoy alongside salmon.
This recipe makes about two servings and will take around 35 minutes to make.
Recipe credit: Platejoy.com